What is MailVU?
MailVU is an easy and efficient website to send email to each other with videos from recording or URL address. It is free to record up to 10 minutes and send it to several receivers. In addition, it is available both computers and smart phones. Here are a video introducing how to use it.
Relevance to Language Teaching and Learning
Originally, emails can be a tool to practice English writing; however, with this website, students are motivated to practice speaking in the process of emailing each other. Also, it can be a great tool for learner autonomy and distance learning.
Possible Usages in/outside Class
1. Teachers introduce MailVU in class, and show the functions of it. The tool can make email a very easy thing and save a lot of time. Try to make it popular among students as email method and make them practice speaking and listening during this process.
2. The teacher can leave homework of certain topics and ask students to send MailVU email to talk about it. Teachers also give feedback through this mail.
3. Students can practice for speaking test, such as IELTS exam. They can pretend it as real situation, record their performance and play it, modify, and record it again. They can send the MailVU email to teachers to give feedback according to the specific requirement of the exam.
4. Teachers can also use this method to give feedback of other homework. It is usually persuasive and sweet to see the face when talking. Teachers may also use it to give feedback to students’ parents regularly.
5. Before certain festivals, such as Mother’s Day, the teacher can arrange students together to think about ideas to make video. Then, they can send a celebration message to their parents.
1. It is a very useful tool, but without certain task, teacher may be not sure if students would use it after class, or use L2 (English). And students may feel not interesting when it relates to homework.
2. Easy for adult learners or teenage learners to use. Young learners should use under parents guidance.
3. It can be engaged only related to speaking and listening tasks, few opportunities of integrated skills.