What is Webquest?
Webquest is “an inquiry-oriented lesson format in which most or all the information that learners work with comes from the web”. Simply speaking, teachers can make a Webquest according to certain task, and students find their own results by searching on it. Here are a series video about what is Webquest and how to use it step by step.
Relevance to Language Teaching and Learning
It can be used in tesk-based teaching. According to the task content, it can cover all speaking, listening, reading and writing in English, and integrated four skills. If students are required to use it in class, it also can be built as communicative classroom. usually group work are encouraged in doing Webquest work.
Possible Usages in/outside Class
1. The teacher makes a webquest with certain task, ask students to form into groups and work on it and find the result.
2. The teacher makes a webquest to be an assistant tool of the lesson topic, and ask students to finish it after class.
3. The teacher introduces how to create a webquest, ask students to form into groups and make a webquest in turn weekly, as a replacement of presentation. Then, other students finish the task in/out of class. However, this requires students to have a high ability of language and computer knowledge. It may not suitable for students of young age.
1. It is a complicated process to make a full webquest. It may take teacher’s too much time on it, and require teachers with high capability on computer knowledge.
2. Once the webquest is done, it usually contains too much information to help students finish the task. It may distract students in doing it, and demotivate them.
3. It is also difficult for teachers to fulfill students need and interests in designing the Webquest, including content, pictures and colors, information amount.